UPDATED POST: See Last Two Briefings
Combined for June 23, 2014
Translated from Russian by Gleb Bazov / Edited by S. Naylor
Igor Strelkov’s Briefing, June 23, 2014, 12:40
- In the course of the night from June 22-23, the enemy continued to build up its forces in the area of the river crossing across Severskiy Donets, near the villages of Krivaya Luka and Ilyichovka.
- In the village of Krivaya Luka, the punitive squads of the enemy were evicting some of the population from their own homes and forbid the rest to go beyond the limits of their households. Several dozens of “BMD”, “BMDR” and “BTR” armoured vehicles have been concentrated in the village, along with large numbers of infantry.
- In the area of Ilyichovka, tanks and artillery have arrived. As a result, [the enemy] is near completing the formation of the strike group aimed against Slavyansk and Lisichansk.
- According to the available information, a guerilla unit attacked a column of enemy APCs [Armoured Personnel Carriers] at the border of the Kharkov and Donetsk oblasts, to the north of the Dolina settlement. In the course of a brief battle, two APCs were hit. Despite the high level of training demonstrated by the by the enemy soldier, the guerillas were able to escape encirclement and leave without losses.
Igor Strelkov’s Short Briefing, June 23, 2014, 13:24
- Last night, our separate guerilla unit attacked the enemy in the area of the Dolina settlement. Two APCs were hit using grenade launchers, and, through automatic weapons’ fire, losses were inflicted on the paratrooper spetsnaz [travelling] atop the armoured [vehicle]. Despite the desperate attempts by the enemy (which demonstrated resilience uncharacteristic to common Ukie infantry) to overtake and destroy [our] squad, the unit was able to leave without any losses.
- Apart from the two above-mentioned APCs, this brave unit also claimed one “BMP” armoured vehicle (hit at a checkpoint near the Yatskoye settlement), one “Ural” truck (destroyed in an ambush) and one Hummer (blown up with a landmine on the same highway).
- The enemy continues to concentrate its forces in the region of Krivaya Luka – Ilyichevka. The columns of the enemy engage in continuous maneuvers, in an attempt to conceal the transfer here of equipment and men intended for an attack either in the direction of Slavyansk or of Severesk-Lisichansk (or against both targets – the force is sufficient).
- “Fresh” Su-25 ground attack craft and FAB-500SH bombs have arrived at the Mariupol airport. Apparently, these are intended for the “ultimate pacification” of Donbass which to follow June 27th. Around Slavyansk (on the western and northern directions, from which, apparently, there will be no decisive attack) the enemy has installed sweeping combination minefields, made up of uncontrolled antipersonnel landmines of various modification (primarily OZM-72). There are already casualties among the locals.
Igor Strelkov’s Report, June 23, 2014, 13:30
I am confirming the delivery to Slavyansk and Kramatorsk of cargo from the Social Movement “The Battle for Donbass” and from an internet publication “Angry Russians”:
- – heat imagers Pulsar HD38S – 10 items (together with external power sources EPS3 – 10 items)
- – binoculars Pulsar Expert LRF 8×40 – 10 items
- – sniper suits Wood Ghillie – 6 items
- – radio headsets – 27 items
- – various backpacks – 3 items
- – facial makeup, coloured, ACU/ABU for snipers – 2 items
- – sleeping carpets for snipers – 8 items
- – steel helmets, made in the USSR – 200 items
- – camouflage suites “Berezka” – 200 items
- – automatic rifle magazines – 500 items
From myself and from the name of the DPR [Donetsk People’s Republic] Militia – our deepest and most heartfelt gratitude! As well, the shipment and the delivery of the cargo was effected by “Strelkov’s Spetsnaz” (and, personally, Comrade Zmey).
Briefing from Igor Strelkov, June 23, 2014, 17:21
Original: Strelkov Info
- An artillery exchange took place today in the area of Staraya Krasnyanka (between Rubzhnoye and Kremennaya). On one side, there were the mortar units of Mozgovoi, and on the other – the Ukie artillery. We sustained no losses, the casualties of the enemy are being confirmed.
- All other fronts remained calm. The enemy froze. Both sides continue intensively entrenching positions and preparing for future battles.
Briefing from Igor Strelkov, June 23, 2014, 19:28
Original: Strelkov Info
Q: Igor Ivanovich, I understand that are keeping to Kutuzov’s approach. Isn’t it time to start acting like Zhukov?
A: Are you talking about the tactic he used at Rzhev, where hundreds of thousands of our soldiers perished in 1942? Sorry, but we cannot boast the same manpower reserves!
Q: Igor Ivanovich, how do you think the negotiations, currently ongoing in Donetsk, will end? No result, as usual?
A: I don’t know. I am waiting for information. We will not capitulate. Nor will they: they have painted themselves into a corner by blatantly lying and are entrapped (just like Goebbels) by their own propaganda – stopping the war now will mean that they have to face a new “Maidan,” and then it’s unlikely that they will retain power. In other words, they face a classic “zugzwang” – any move makes their positions worse and leads to defeat. The problem for them is that it’s their turn … I hope that our diplomats understand this. Except, of course, Zurabov – that one is a real “braniac” … he could do everything strictly in reverse.